Tamiya Sturmgeschutz III Ausf.G Tank Finnish Army Stug III (35310)
A superb 1:35 scale model from the Tamiya range.
1/35 scale plastic assembly model kit:
The unique form of the tank destroyer is realistically reproduced
Distinctive features of Finnish StuG's such as large concrete armor blocks and logs are also included
In addition, tools and spare tracks are included for greater realism
The DT machine gun has a sharp finish
Commander figure (torso) and four kinds of markings included
During the Soviet-Finland War during WWII, the Finnish Army were provided with Sturmeschutz III Ausf.G tanks from Germany which later became their main tank until the end of the war. Equipped to the low profile hull of the Ausf.G was a powerful, long-barrelled 7.5cm anti-tank gun. Once they had arrived in Finland, their Sch�rzen armour was removed, tool boxes were placed on the rear deck, and modifications were made in order to install Russian DT machine guns. In the spring of 1944, the Ausf.G fought against Russian armoured forces and protected Finland from invasion. Afterwards, to improve defensive capabilities of the Ausf.G, concrete blocks and logs were attached to the tank's hull. Even after WWII, the Ausf.G continued to serve the Finnish army with distinction up until the 1960s.
Originally intended for infantry support duties, Germany's Sturmgeschutz (assault gun) and abbreviated "Stu - G" III first appeared in combat during 1940. It had the durable Panzer III chassis with a completely new superstructure.
To keep the vehicles profile as low as possible, the revolving turret was eliminated and the short barrelled 75mm L/24 gun was mounted directly onto the hull. As it was mainly intended for close fire support for the Wehrmacht, it was used as self-propelled artillery against the opposing enemy's strategic points. However, when the German forces encountered the Russian KV and T-34 tanks on the Eastern front, the situation abruptly changed. To cope with this Russian tank threat, the Germans were forced to upgrade their existing weapons systems.
The G-type Stu - G III built from late 1942 onwards, used a more powerful, long barrel 75mm L/48 gun. The early G-type had a square shaped gun mantlet. The superstructure was redesigned and an MG42 machine gun with shield, commander's vision cupola and smoke dischargers were added. The thin steel plates, known as Schurzen (skirts) were attached to the sides of the hull beginning in the spring of 1943. The type-42 assault gun mounted a 105mm howitzer on the Stug - G III chassis and was developed to fulfil the Stu - G III's original role of infantry support. Incorporating several minor changes, about 7,800 G-type Stu - G III's were produced.