The Caldercraft kit of the Mary Rose.
This kit has been designed with the full co-operation of the Mary Rose Trust, making it the only model based on the most up to date research and information. Double plank on frame construction in lime and walnut, Tanganyika deck planking, rigging thread and all rigging blocks, brass etched and white metal fittings and full size plans. Comprehensive construction manual, including The History of the Mary Rose
- CNC cut bulkheads and keel from birch ply;
- Kit components CNC cut in walnut and walnut ply;
- Double plank on frame construction in lime and walnut;
- Tanganyika deck planking; Rigging thread and all rigging blocks;
- Brass etched and white metal cast fittings;
- 8 sheets of full size plans;
- Comprehensive construction manual.
- Scale: 1:80
- Length: 735mm
- Beam 255mm
- Height 520mm
- Planking: Double
- Part No: C9004
Please Note: hardwood Base and pedestals are not included.
- The Mary Rose is a Tudor ship, built in 1510.
- In service for 34 years. Sank in 1545. Discovered in 1971.
- Raised in 1982. Now in the final stages of conservation,
- She now takes her place in a stunning and unique museum in Portsmouth.
Faced with the ever present threat of the French Navy, as well as a strong, potentially hostile, Scottish fleet, Henry VIII embarked on a program of naval building, including the Mary Rose and the Peter Pomegranate. From a technological point of view, these ships were a radical departure from those of his father (Henry VII). They were carvel rather than clinker built and equipped with heavy guns mounted near the waterline. The introduction of the carvel hull also facilitated the construction of watertight gun-ports. The Mary Rose is believed to have been named after the King's favourite sister, Mary, and the Tudor emblem, the Rose. The Mary Rose is thought to have been constructed in 1510 at Portsmouth but, while the loss of the Mary Rose is well documented, the construction of the ship is not. There are however a few documents that provide important clues as to where and when she was built.
There are also a number of possible explanations for the sinking of the Mary Rose in the Solent on the 9th July 1545 but it is believed that the ship began to heel as soon as the sails were raised - either due to bad seamanship or poor ballasting - and water entered the ship through her lower gun ports, still open after firing. The Mary Rose lay on her starboard side at an angle of approximately 60 degrees. She had sunk through the soft upper sediments and had come to rest on the clay below. The hull acted as a silt trap for the Solent currents, and the surviving portion of the hull filled rapidly, leaving the port side to be eroded by marine organisms and mechanical degradation. Because of the way the ship sank, nearly the whole starboard side survived intact, excluding the bow and a portion of the aftercastle. Internally between half and one third of the orlop, main and upper decks, along with a fragment of the castle deck were intact, as were ancillary structures such as the companionways, stanchions and cabin partitioning. During the 17th and 18th centuries the entire site was covered with a layer of hard gray shelly clay, which minimised further erosion.
A 35m purpose-built museum for Henry VIII's flagship, the Mary Rose will officially open in Portsmouth 31st May 2013
The 16th Century hull will once again be on display at the Historic Dockyard museum - yards from where the Tudor warship was built 500 years ago, and the new museum finally reunites the Mary Rose with many thousands of the 19,000 artefacts found with it.
The ship was discovered in 1971 and raised from the seabed of the Solent in 1982.
The new museum will be fully open to the public from Friday, but tickets have to be pre-booked.
Faces of some of the crew have been recreated by forensic science experts using skulls found with the wreck. Some of the areas of the ship such as the surgeon's cabin and the gun deck, where they lived and worked, have also been recreated.
Up to 500 men and boys died when the ship sank and the new museum has been dedicated to them. A day of events to mark the opening, started with the laying of a wreath at the spot where it sank. The Mary Rose Bell was then taken by Naval escort from the wreck site and into the museum. A giant Tudor flag will cover the museum until it is lowered to a fanfare by the band of the Royal Marines. The day-long event will mark the symbolic journey of the ship's bell as the last artefact to be placed into the new Mary Rose museum ahead of its public opening.
Since it was brought up, the hull has been constantly sprayed with water and wax chemicals, but the jets were turned off last month. For the next four years it will be kept in a "hot box" chamber to be dried out, but visitors to Portsmouth Historic Dockyard will be able to view it through windows. After that the hull will be on full view in the museum, in which a mirror image of the decks has been created to give people a feeling of what life was like on the ship.
Read more about the restored Mary Rose and new Museum on Hobbies Blog - click here