- Scale: 1:85
- Length: 695mm
- Height: 570 mm
- Width: 300 mm
- Difficulty: Medium
Occre HMS Revenge Galleon Wooden Model Ship
- Plank on frame construction with English instuctions.
- Factory pre-cut keel and all mainframe parts.
- Quality planking in sapele, american walnut and lime.
- Fittings in die cast metal, burnished or turned brass.
- Plans set with the top and side views of the model in scale 1:1
- Instructions booklet with dozens of step-by-step images of the assembly stages.
- Sewn sail set. You just have to rig them in the masts.
HMS Revenge was an English race-built galleon of 46 guns, built in 1577 by Sir John Hawkins in the shipyards of Deptford. She was captured by the Spanish in 1591 and sunk soon afterwards. She was the first of 13 English and Royal Navy ships to bear the name.
HMS Revenge was Drake's flagship during the destruction of the Spanish Armada and also has the distinction of fighting the most one-sided battle in naval history.
In 1591, she was part of the English fleet sent to curtail Spanish naval reconstruction after the Armada. This fleet was horribly stricken with sickness and the fleet put into the Azores. Most of the crews were ashore. A Spanish fleet of 53 ships came upon the English at the harbour. Most of the English ships quickly slipped away, not willing to engage the stronger Spanish force, but not the Revenge. Her captain, Sir Richard Grenville, decided to wait in the harbour for his sick crewman on shore to return. When the Revenge did set out, she sailed straight at the Spaniards. The action that followed has passed into legend.
Within minutes the Revenge became totally surrounded. For fifteen hours her crew of 250 resisted several Spanish attempts to board her. The next morning only sixteen members of her crew were left uninjured. She lay disabled at the heart of the Spanish Fleet. Seeing no other way out, a mortally wounded Grenville ordered her scuttled. However, the surviving crew of the Revenge disobeyed. They organized a surrender which guaranteed that the lives of her crew would be spared. HMS Revenge became the only English Ship to surrender in the Elizabethan era.
She later sank during a terrible storm while being taken as a prize to Spain, with the loss of life of some 150 Spaniards.
Hobbies Planking Tool Set Contains:
- Plank Bending Tool with Blade
- 2 x 50mm Nylon Grip Clamps
- 2 x 75mm Nylon Grip Clamps
- Pen Grip Pin Pusher
- 7.5mm Brass Pins for Pin Pusher (Pack of 100)